Speaking up for speech team

Ella Ettlin, Writer

The speech team is back and better than ever this year. Under the direction of Head Coach Matthew Stensrud, their main goal is to help students gain the confidence and public speaking skills they will need in their daily lives. They work on enunciation, inflection, creating characters/emotions for certain speeches, and how to talk in front of a crowd. Students are able to compete in the following categories: 

• Informative

Submitted Photo
    Placing at the Jordan tournament were Mitchel Pomije (2nd discussion), Erica Goulson (4th discussion), Ava Hart (6th informative).
  • Original oratory
  • Serious interpretation of drama, 
  • Serious interpretation of poetry
  • Serious interpretation of prose
  • Duo interpretation
  • Humorous interpretation
  • Extemporaneous reading
  • Discussion
  • Extemporaneous speaking
  • Great speeches
  • Creative expression
  • Storytelling

Recently, the past two tournaments bore success, notably when Mitchel Pomije placed 2nd in discussion, Erica Goulson placed 4th in discussion, and Ava Hart placed sixth in informative at the Jordan Tournament February 8. Pomije has also placed at two other tournaments this season: 5th place in Farmington and 7th place in Prior Lake.

Often times, participants in speech find that their favorite part is meeting new people. Speech is a place where new connections are formed and friendships are made. One misconception of speech is that it is an individual, not a team activity. Speech definitely has team unity and a family aspect to it. Once you join the team, you join a family that comes with support and love. 

Coach Stensrud said, “It is incredible to see these students learn and grow as the season goes on. It is definitely satisfying when I see our students get rewarded for their hard work.” 

If speech interests you, talk to Stensrud to find out how to join!