Reeling in on the fishing team

Ayush Kapali, Writer

The New Prague High School fishing team is casting themselves out this year. The team held an informational meeting on November 24th. In that meeting, they talked about tournaments they were interested in doing. 

The fishing team competes in competitive bass tournaments across the state, and they go against other high school teams. They plan on going to several tournaments this year. One of the tournaments they are planning on going to is the Student Angler Tournament Trail. 

When asked why the team was founded, senior Kyle Malecha said, “I started the team to allow kids to get involved in a different perspective of the sport of fishing, that being fishing competitively.” 

Their next meeting is some time around late November or early December. If you have any interest in joining or have any questions about the team, you should email Kyle Malecha or Tyson Borgen. 

In regards to the future of the fishing team, Kyle Malecha said, “Our hopes for the team is that we will be able to continue the fishing team in future years at New Prague High School. We want everyone to have a chance to compete and have a great experience fishing [during] tournaments. Our team also wants to get more involved in the community, off the water.”