Homecoming 2020

Lea Sirek

Though the Trojans fought hard, Kasson-Mantorville defeated the Trojans 23-29 Friday, October 23.

Lea Sirek, Writer and Photographer

You don’t realize how much you miss it until it’s gone. This year with social distancing restrictions, there was no pep fest, no homecoming parade, and no homecoming dance. Yet, New Prague continued to make the most of what they had. 

New Prague was able to hold a Homecoming Coronation. The Queen candidates were Kylee Chromy, McKenzie Dropik, Ella Ettlin, Haley Fredrich, Anna Hanson, Allie Heselton, Keiran McLoone, and Jillian Weichert. The King candidates were Jack Baribeau, Isaac Buehler, Isaac Hill, Adam Langfield, Sam McDougall, Beau Plasiance, Cameron Sheriff, and Matt Zweber. Even in the cold of the early winter at the football stadium, the candidates and bystanders still had a blast. Congratulations to Homecoming King Adam Langfield and Queen Keiran McLoone! 

New Prague was also allowed to hold a Homecoming football game. Though attendance was limited, the crowd still managed to have a good time. The game was back and forth all night, but he Trojans ended up losing in the last 3 seconds with a field goal and a final score of 20-23. Even though they lost, it was still a great game!

Players, students, and staff said what they missed most about Homecoming in pre-Covid years was the atmosphere. Cheering in the stands during the football game, dancers on the gym floor during pep fests, and getting to represent your favorite club or sport in the parade is the crowd favorite, and sadly, the most dangerous in a global pandemic. 

Fortunately, New Prague continues to practice safe procedures, so we can all, as a school, town, and country, overcome Covid 19.