March Madness

Tatum Zimmerman, Writer

Whether or not you play or watch sports you are probably familiar with March Madness. The NCAA basketball tournament rolls around every St. Patrick’s Day. 64 teams compete until one national champion is left standing. Fans try to predict the upsets and triumphs by filling out brackets. Over 70 million people yearly complete these brackets in hopes of getting the perfect one. New Prague students have already started guessing and debating on who will win or lose.

Ms. Meyer gives her take on how students enjoy the tournament. “Students make brackets and it’s a huge deal to them. Although kids get distracted sometimes, it’s cool to see them so excited about something.” 

A freshman student shared their thoughts.  “I look forward to March Madness every year. It is one of my favorite sports events. I hope a Big Ten team wins the championship.” 

Unfortunately, Minnesota isn’t one the Big Ten teams that made it in. Better luck next year Gophers! The conference did have a large number of 9 out of 14 setting a new record of teams in the tourney. This included two number one seeds: Michigan and Iowa. They aren’t alone though; the Gonzaga Bulldogs ended with an undefeated regular season. The Bulldogs are led by Jalen Suggs, an outstanding guard who is from Minnesota. 

From buzzer beaters to stunning Cinderella stories, this tournament has it all. The first round will began Friday, March 19 and ends on April 5 in a nail-biting championship. Will a Big Ten team come out victorious, or will Gonzaga earn the trophy? Make sure to tune into the games to find out!