Dustin Johnson, School Counselor

Dustin Johnson, School Counselor

After high school, Mr. Johnson attended community college for two years at Normandale, transferred to Minnesota State Mankato to get his Bachelor’s degree, worked at a high school through AmeriCorps for 2 years, and then went back to Minnesota State Mankato to get his Master’s.

Why did you pursue the career path you have chosen?  It took me until college to really find my full potential and be successful at school. I credit this to a specific professor who really cared about me. They helped me find my passion and reach my potential. I wanted to be this person for other students who need a caring adult in their life that can help them be successful and believe in them.

What did you do before coming to NPHS? I worked at Charter School in Rochester Minnesota that primarily served special education students.

What have you enjoyed most about NPHS or what do you most look forward to here? Getting to know students and building positive rapport with them has been great! I love helping students through the highs and lows of high school, and I look forward to seeing them reach their full potential! I really enjoy helping students discover their post-secondary options and to get them excited about how their high school journey can make those options possible.

If you could sit next to anyone on an airplane, who would it be and why?

I’m usually very extroverted and like to talk to others, but when I’m on a plane, I turn introverted and put on my headphones. So I really don’t know if there is someone I truly wish to sit next to.

If you had a warning label, what would yours say?  Warning: do not distract when Vikings are playing!