Volleyball season wrap up

Submitted photo

Trojans celebrate after scoring a point.

Tatum Zimmerman, Writer

It was a great end to a historic season for Trojan Volleyball. Holding a 22-11 record, becoming section champions, and finishing in third-place at state are some of their many achievements. This was the second time in New Prague history that Volleyball was state-bound, and this team made the most of it. They were coached by first-year Head Coach Greg Sayuk and assisted by Sammie Collier.

The girls breezed through the first games in the section bracket, sweeping every team in their way until they were met with the Stars of Holy Angels, who gave them a challenge, but the Stars were not good enough to stop the Trojans. The Trojans came up with a 3-1 win and a trip to the Xcel Center.  

Earning the #3 seed, the team was set to play Chisago Lakes in the first round of games in St.Paul. New Prague fans packed the stands, rooting for the squad. After a slow start, the Trojans won 3-1 and advanced to the semi-finals. They ended up losing to Kasson-Mantorville, but they didn’t lose their drive. They went on to take the third-place trophy by beating Grand Rapids 3-0. It was an exciting experience for the players, fans, and the school.  

Sophomore outside Avery Klein shared her thoughts about this season: “I had a lot of fun this year and made amazing and long lasting memories with my teammates. This was definitely a once-in-a-lifetime experience that will last forever. I will miss the seniors this year and wish them the best of luck in their next step in life.”