Boys wrestling update

Taylor Blumberg

Koy Buesgens awaits the official’s call.

Tatum Zimmerman, Writer

Trojan wrestling ended the regular season with a bang, setting them up well for sections. The team took down Watertown Mayer to earn the number 1 seed in the section. They also moved to #6 in the AA rankings. Many of the wrestlers are both ranked and prepared to do some damage in the weeks to come, including two #1 ranks, North Carolina state commit Koy Buesgens and recently returned Joey Novak. The team’s Head Coach is Dan Wagner. 

The team finished second in the section Saturday, February 19 in a close match against Watertown Mayer.

Some big accomplishments this season have driven the team to a winning record of 26-5. Early in the year, the Trojans pulled out a win over the dominant Scott West squad. They earned the Highway 13 sign in a notable match against Prior Lake, and they were the champions at the Zelinski Memorial and Kiffmeyer Duels.

Four wrestlers join Buesgens and Novak in the Top 10 individual rankings. Junior Colton Bornholdt and Senior Evan Anderson are both placed at #3 in their respective weight classes. Freshman Lawson Eller is also ranked at #3 at 106. Junior Evan Farley is ranked at #7 in AA. These wrestlers look to compete in individual competition this weekend to qualify for the state tournament.