Social Studies Electives

College Political Science

By Phia Huebner

Politics isn’t for everyone. But regardless of whether or not you enjoy a political debate, the political decisions of our country affect everyone. In the elective College Political Science, taught by Mrs. Sayler, students learn all they need to know about the functions of the government and the power citizens have to interact, influence, and change it. 

This class covers crucial topics in the lives of American citizens. Americans have the right to participate in democracy and should learn how to do it effectively. This class covers the fundamental structures of democracy, how it has changed over time, and how the government may affect the United States and the world. 

College Political Science is discussion based, which creates a great environment to express personal opinions and ask complex questions. This class covers topics that are usually taboo and avoided at all costs, but Mrs. Sayler creates a comfortable environment for students to experience some discomfort. This class forces students to talk about issues that make them uncomfortable and to consider other points of view.

Besides the killer content of this class and the expert knowledge gained if you take it, this class will earn college credit that will most likely transfer to any school of your choice. This class also covers the social studies elective that you need to graduate. 

This class opened my eyes to how much power we citizens have to impact our government and our country as a whole. This class also allowed me to see the different points of view in our politicized world today and how coming to an understanding isn’t as hard as it is made out to be on CNN or Fox News. 

Whether you are politically minded or not, College Political Science will expand your knowledge of our government and empower you to be a part of our democracy. And besides, you wouldn’t want to miss out on the hot chocolate every Friday!

Current Social Issues

By Lea Sirek

Current Social Issues may sound too political for the average high school student, but it is one of the most respectful and fun classes I’ve had the pleasure of taking. There are no tests or quizzes. While it does require you to have an opinion on the most topical and latest issues that strike the United States and the world, there isn’t one student who is afraid to be themselves in this class. Current Social Issues is an amazing place to get to know about these issues more in-depth, as well as form your own opinion in a safe space where everybody is accepting. So while some may not agree with you, everybody has a home in that classroom. So please, expand your horizons and find a home in Current Social Issues.

Psychology

By Taylor Moeding

As the time gets closer to picking classes for next year, many students feel the stress of not knowing which classes to take. Well, no need to worry about that anymore! Taking Psychology is one of the best choices you can make. Taught by the one and only Mr. Hopke, the class is filled with information and useful knowledge, as well as a chance to learn more about the brain and how it works. 

Throughout this five-unit class, students learn about the different parts and functions of the brain, as well as how people think and much more. There are no prerequisites for this class; however, you must a junior or senior to enroll. This class is not a college class, so there are no college credits or weighted grades.

This class can help you learn more about yourself and about others. Psychology prepares you for life and helps you get a head start on college courses. 

Sociology

By JuliAnn Falconer

Sociology is an elective taught by Mr. Tikalsky at New Prague High School. Sociology focuses on society, human social behavior, patterns of social relationships, social interactions, and aspects of culture associated with everyday life. The class involves a lot of note-taking, but Mr. Tikalsky keeps the class interested and engaged. There are a couple of group projects that are assigned throughout the year. At the end of the semester, there is a paper that will need to be turned in as a final for the class. Although the paper is long and time-consuming, Mr. Tikalsky gives enough time to work on it in class and allows students to work in groups. Sociology is a very interesting class and teaches students about relationships and cultures.