Girls Soccer wrap up 2019

Rachel Harmon

Captains accept the Section 1AA runner up trophy.

Lana Krautkremer, Guest Writer

What a season it was for the New Prague Trojan Girls Soccer team. The girls made history to be the first New Prague soccer team to make it to the section finals. Even though they fell to Lakeville South 4-0, they continued to give it gave their all. Nothing stood in their way, and they were determined to play with heart, purpose, and intensity. 

Their most intense game this season was Rochester Century to start off sections. A couple weeks earlier, they tied the Panthers 0-0 after double overtime and knew if they played them again it would be different. They beat them 1-0 on a game-winner by sophomore Payton Morris assisted by senior Lana Krautkremer. The Trojans were playing their best soccer at this point which helped in advancing to beat the #3 seed following the #2 seed Farmington. Scoreless after regulation time and double overtime, they went to a shootout against Farmington. The Trojans came out on top winning 4-3. 

Their record for the season was 10-7-2 which also made history to win 10 games in one season. The girls left everything on the field every game. 

According to Lana Krautkramer, “Sophomore, Evie Wegner is most likely to go pro. Her footwork is amazing, she has a wicked shot, and her soccer IQ is crazy high. Junior, Taylor Stepka was our breakout player of the season. She kept us in many games hence her 99 saves on the season. She really stepped up to play every minute of every game.”

The coach of the Trojans is Matt Anderson, and he came into the season with a goal to be playing their best soccer by sections. He says they did just that by upsetting two games which advanced them to the section final and was glad to have a front-row seat to it all. 

Senior captains Dani Anderson, Lana Krautkremer, Laura Krautkremer, and Lauren Kuehl set a team goal at the beginning of the season to win one section game, and with that came living up to their motto: Be Fearless. Not only were they playing fearless, but this became the attitude of the team coming into every game no matter who the opponent was or what the score was against other teams. 

Day by day, practice by practice, game by game, they worked their hardest to get better to win two section games and make it to the section final. The seniors’ leadership was inspiring, and they will be missed. The Trojan girls hope to build off of this accomplishment during the upcoming seasons. Go Trojans!