One Act cast and crew finishes second in sections

The cast and crew of the one-act play “Sideways Stories from Wayside School” took second place in section competition Saturday, February 5 and first place in sub-section competition Saturday, January 29.  This followed the conference competition Saturday, January 22 at New Prague High School where they also placed first.

The group, led by director Ben Thietje, presented the show for the public Friday, January 28 at 7:30 p.m. in the auditorium where they filled half of the auditorium to a supportive crowd.  They move on to section competition finals at Shakopee High School Saturday, February 5.

Trojan One Act takes 2nd place in section competition. (submitted photo)

Learn more about the One Act:

Each winter, New Prague High School participates in the competitive One Act Plays. The One Act Play is a theatre event in which New Prague competes against many other high schools, each trying to perform the best 30-35 minute play. Each school performs its show for a panel of judges and is graded using a rubric. 

Directed by Ben Thietje, this year’s one act is “Sideways Stories from Wayside School,” based on a children’s book written by Louis Sachar. The show is about a group of young children: Myron, Bebe, Leslie, Dameon, and Ronda, who go through the weird and (in some cases) evil teachers and situations of Wayside School. 

The cast includes: Kayla Einertson, Phia Huebner, Mikkal Hvidsten, Jonathan Lake, Cole Logelin, Greta Madsen, and Amara Prochaska, with the ensemble made up with Kadyn Anderson, Micah Anderson, Natalie Boelter, Carson Logelin, Savannah Ryburn, Noah Stocker, and the stage crew made up by Abi Bartusek and Emily Chaffee. 

The One Act had its one and only public performance on January 28th at 7:30 p.m. at New Prague High School.